Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Let's remove water instead of dewatering

Questionable word: "dewatering"
Citation: White House Press Release, September 12, 2005. "
President, Lieutenant General Honore Discuss Hurricane Relief in Louisiana North Claiborne and Cleveland Streets
New Orleans, Louisiana."
Usage: In third paragraph, "And we just came through an area that had had substantial water in it, and the dewatering is an indication that the city is moving forward."
Recommendation: "water removal" or "removal of water"
Rationale: This is a quote directly from the President during extemporaneous comments, so you probably have to use what he said, verbatim. However, written comments for the President might have been a better route: Mr. Bush isn't nearly as effective speaking off-the-cuff as he is when given something to say. My hope is that editors would paraphrase for him and not use the bureaucratic-sounding "dewatering."

Also try my blog on clichés at
cliche-a-day.blogspot.com

2 Comments:

Blogger Wayne Hairston said...

Hi,

I was just web surfing and found your interesting blog! If you are interested, please go to see my home based business website. It isnt anything special but you may still find something of interest.

Best regards,

Wayne

11:03 PM, September 13, 2005  
Blogger wordsworth said...

Hi Wayne, glad to meet you. The link you provided in your comments, for "home based business," goes to Direct Matches, not your online business. I found your business site by accessing your profile. Are these comments automatically generated or did you actually read my blog and comment? Your comment showed up almost as soon as I posted the new entry, so I'm just curious. BTW, I was a Hoosier for about three years as a child, creating some of my fondest childhood memories. Yeaaa Indiana.

11:19 PM, September 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home